[singular 单数] the most basic and important quality of something
The essence of something is its basic and most important characteristic that gives it its individual identity.
1. in essence
used when talking about the most basic and important part of something, especially an idea, belief, or argument
You use in essence to emphasize that you are talking about the most important or central aspect of an idea, situation, or event.
2. sth is of the essence
used to say that something is very important
something is of the essence, you mean that it is absolutely necessary in order for a particular action to be successful.
3. essence of beauty
1. She seems the very essence of kindness (=she seems very kind).
2. In essence his message was very simple.
3. Good communications are of the essence to remain competitive.
5. Speed was of the essence in a project of this type.
6. Though complicated in detail, local taxes are in essence simple.
7. Pursuing experience is the essence of tour.